Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Power of Sports

Someone recently asked me why I love sports so much. I knew talking about monster hits, circus catches, and walk-off homeruns wouldn't explain it sufficiently, so I've been looking for a way to explain the draw of sports to those who know nothing about them. Here it is. Sports allow complete strangers to morph into best friends, if only for a few hours. There is nothing like going to a game and sitting next to someone you've never met, then leaving 3 hours later knowing all the important details of their life. There is something about sports that breaks barriers of race, gender, status. If you don't believe me, go stand in line wearing your local team's colors on the day of one of their important games and see how many people strike up a conversation with you. Better yet, find someone in those colors and strike up a conversation with them. I promise you'll have fun. Why? For just a few minutes, you're more than just a person in line. You're family. That, my friends, is powerful.

1 comment:

Jeniakai said...

Great. Now I feel like a horrible human being for not liking sports. But you're right, all it takes is a connection.