Sunday, December 3, 2006

Happiness

Of all the concepts humans have, happiness is the most confusing and the most elusive. We search for happiness in drugs, sex, alcohol, cars, toys, food, and innumerable other material things. I'm going going to lie - all these things will bring happiness. The problem is that they don't allow us to remain happy. For example, tell me about that party 6 months ago that was so cool. Recapture that feeling for me. Chances are, you can't. Same goes with everything on that list. True happiness comes through a few relatively simple things. Following the commandments of God, and helping other people. If you're a Muslim, great. If you're Buddhist, wonderful. If you're Christian, fine. Really following the commandments that God has given to you brings real happiness. Why? Because God loves us. If someone really loves you, they want you to be truly happy. Following God takes effort, but what in life doesn't? Are you willing to work for good grades? For a pay raise? For an award? Than why not for happiness?
Tell me the last time you helped someone. Chances are, even if it was 8 months ago, you'll be able to remember the details. Did you give someone a ride while it was raining? Did you help an old lady put her groceries in her car at the store? I bet you can bring back that feeling as you tell me the story. I bet I'll see a smile on your face as you tell it. That is real happiness.
Look, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a great dinner, really liking the new car you bought, or going to a fun party. Its just not going to make you really happy. Isn't that what you really want?

1 comment:

Jeniakai said...

I just want to be happy... is that really so bad? And congratulations, you're little object lesson was quite effective.